Sunday, January 17, 2010


The January Blues....


I get them every year no matter where we live. Its a time of year that reminds me of my youth, long, cold, snowy January's, when you only go outside because you have to. Even when someone suggests something fun to do, something you would never say no to you don't go out, its so awful out there that you avoid it at all costs. I remember feeling so desolate, like there was nothing to look forward to. Today, the effects of the January blues have less impact on my daily life, yet almost every year I get one day to feel that desolation...today is that day this year.


Its been raining and although a little warmer, we've just come through a particularly cold month and a 1/2, but that's global warming and all. Its been colder here than I have I ever experienced before, as cold as home on some days, colder than I ever thought possible for the South. We are just off the holidays, me , just off an illness and an injury, I am feeling particularly dull due to the lack of significant exercise. Its not hard for me to feel the darkness of Winter.

Tonite I look outside to my beloved porch and this is what I see..all cold and lonely and waiting for us to frequent it. The red cup looks like Christmas, yet Christmas feels like ions ago. It waits for our joyful sounds of warmth. I think I will have to look for signs of Spring tomorrow.

No comments: